Monday, April 18, 2011

First Photoshoot in a While

So today, after school, I'm going to have a photo shoot with my friend, Nicole Abelove. She's one of my favorite models to work with because we are very comfortable with each other. And through my little bit of experience with working with models, comfort is a big deal. I can't explain how hard it is to work with models who you don't personally feel comfortable with.

  • Miranda- The first person I worked with. My friend, Kim, was designing clothes for the schools fashion show, and had asked Miranda to model for her. She was originally going to take the photos herself, but since I happened to be around, she figured I would take the photos and she would direct Miranda. Looking at the photos now, they really were not that great; maybe 5 total that I personally liked, but regardless, it was the fact that it got me started.
  • Lauren/Haley- My ex's neighbor Amy was the first to hire me to take photos. Sadly, it was photos of her two children, Lauren and Haley. Cute kids, but I feel awkward directing them. I feel like it's not my place to order them around. This is how I feel about all kids, such as my step-mom's cousin's daughter. She's 8 (I think), but she's a child who is just not fun for me to be around.
  • Kevin- The first guy I worked with, and was honestly the easiest. We picked a location, he had outfits, he brought a prop (his guitar) and we just went. Even though we weren't personal friends, he could tell me what he wanted in the photos, which gave me a guideline of sorts/boundaries in which I was free to work with. I loved that. Having all of the control puts too much pressure on me, and then I panic, and then it's just bad times for everyone.
  • Lauren (Lawr)- A good friend of mine, who is very confident in front of the camera. Working with her is a dream, because she has range. I've noticed that some models, not just ones I've personally worked with but in general, tend to have their go-to pose, or the blank/pissed off face. I don't particularly like that, at all. Lawr, on the other hand, can go from angry pissed off to flirty/seductive to happy/bubbly. And she takes direction very well. Writing this has just made me want to set up another shoot with her.
  • Nicole- Working with Nicole is fun. There is no pressure to get good shots. After our first shoot, there was only one that we both truly loved, and it happened completely on accident. The rest of the shoot was just us messing around, and it was such a great experience to be able to take photos without any pressure. And today, we are having another photo shoot. This one is going to be a bit more racy, I guess, and initially I'll try to be professional, but knowing the two of us, we'll be joking about the entire situation and just having fun again within a few minutes.
I kind of lost track of where exactly I was going with this, but basically:

I'm excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment